A fire at the Colonial Motor Inn on Tuesday has been deemed arson, and authorities are looking for the culprit.
According to a press release, at around 4:15 P.M. on Tuesday, April 27, a fire was reported at the Colonial Motor Inn on Albia Road. The caller stated there was a room on fire and was unsure if anyone was inside. The Ottumwa Fire Department responded with all on duty personnel and three fire engines. Upon arrival heavy fire and smoke was found emitting from room 229. The fire was quickly knocked down and the room was searched with no victims located. The fire caused extensive damage to the room and smoke damage throughout the entire structure. The damage is estimated at $50,000. No injuries were reported. It is unknown at this time if the building was insured.
The cause of the fire has been deemed arson. Anyone with any information on this fire is encouraged to contact authorities. A reward is available for information which leads to an arrest. The American Red Cross will be assisting the 5 families displaced by the fire.